Designed for high performance Enterprise and Service Provider distribution, core layers, data-center, Web-hosting and Metro Ethernet applications, CEF720 mixed media interface modules provide line-rate gigabit Ethernet forwarding using twisted pair or fiber optic cabling with the following operational advantages:
- Backplane connection: Connects to the switch fabric using dual full duplex 20 Gbps switch fabric channels (40 Gbps total), a single 20 Gbps channel is supported by the WS-X6724-SFP.
-Chassis/slot support: Can occupy any slot in Cisco Catalyst 6503E, 6504E, 6506, 6506E, 6509, 6509E, and 6509-NEB-A and slots 9 through 13 in Catalyst 6513; the WS X6724-SFP module is supported in all slots of the Catalyst 6513.
- Supervisor engine: Supported by all versions of Supervisor Engine 720.
- Base forwarding mode and performance: Uses the central CEF engine located on the supervisor engine to forward packets up to 30 Mpps per system in its base configuration.
- Distributed forwarding upgrade option and performance: When equipped with the optional field-upgradeable WS-F6700-DFC3 dCEF forwarding daughter cards, the interface module delivers optimal performance, up to a sustained 48 Mpps per slot (26 Mpps per slot for WS X6724-SFP).
- Optics: Support hot-pluggable modular small form-factor pluggable (SFP).